Monday, October 22, 2007

Tattoo (Session 0)

Session #0
Saturday August 18th 2007
Consultation with Joel Long, Bolder Ink

We arrive at the Bolder Ink shop a few minutes early and begin thumbing through Joel’s portfolio. I am shocked at the difference between what he has on his web site and the work in his albums. The work in the book is exactly what I am looking for, sharp, vibrant, lots of detail, subtle shadows.

I later asked Joel about the difference, he explained that anything he puts on his web site is immediately copied by other artists (I don't think he used the word "artist") so he keeps his best stuff in the books and only publishes older work to the web.

When he arrived we discussed what I wanted and he made some suggestions based on traditional Japanese technique. everything sounded pretty good so I made an appointment for my first session.

No comments: