Monday, June 21, 2010

Cable Free -- Week 3

It's been a couple of weeks since we canceled our cable service and we seem to be over some of the withdrawal symptoms now. Part of the reason for cutting the cord was our move from Denver to San Jose. Now that it's complete we can settle down and see if this really will work.

We just had AT&T Uverse installed taking only the internet product and skipping the TV and Voice offerings. It took the guy over three hours to complete the install. That has got to be expensive for AT&T. I elected to get the 18Mb/s service for about $50/Month. Adding the TV service (with HD and a DVR) would add at least another $50/month to my bill.

On the programming side there has been a minor set-back. We had a great live morning news from CW2 in Denver but now that we are in the bay area I can't find the equivalent.

The biggest change has been from simply watching less TV. I'm staying in a hotel room for the first time since we cut the cord and I realized that I haven't turned on the TV in the room yet. I don't think this is a bad thing.

No comments: