Sunday, January 30, 2011

Learning about bikes

I've been riding a custom fillet-brazed Landshark Cyclocross bike for ~15 years. It's had three different drivetrains, 4 different wheel-sets, and a dozen seats. I love it but yesterday I realized that it may be time to replace it. Last weekend I rode a friend's carbon Ibis Hakkalugi on the Montebello/Steven's Canyon loop. Yesterday we did the same ride again only this time I rode the Land Shark and it scared the hell out of me. I was slower up and down and found the flexibility of the frame was a little scary, and the shudder of the fork under braking was terrifying. I really missed the solid feel of the Hakka' and the confidence inspiring front disk-brake. The Hakka also has almost 2cm more top-tube witch makes it fit better than the shorter Land Shark.

Maybe it's time to retire the Landshark...

No comments: