Friday, April 12, 2013

Tools

Over the years I've acquired quite a collection of Park Cassette Lockring tools. At one point I must have had a dozen of them. I can only remember buying 4-5, yet the drawer was full of them. Then came the Dewalt 18v cordless impact wrench.

I bought it to remove lug nuts from the race car at the track. I has over 600 Ft/Lbs of removal torque. Then I used it to remove a cassette. The impact feature means the chain whip stays in the drawer, it easily removes the lock nut with just a short the pull of the trigger. Unfortunately it also tends to break the removal tool -- typically shattering the business end.

Last weekend I finally broke my last one. It was pretty new and Park specifically warns against it, so I think it's best if I stop using the impact wrench. I was going to get another when my mechanic showed me what he uses for that job. A custom Crombie from Abbey Bike Works. The one I held was the solid handled version, but I ordered the SL which has a hollow handle. With custom engraving -- No, this is not a hammer! -- it will take a few weeks to arrive.