Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What's it like

Everyone wants to know what it's like.

Day 0 – Before, During and After

Kathy and I leave about 2 hours before the appointment time to make the one hour drive and have enough time to get a little dinner at the Thai restaurant downstairs from the studio.

When we arrive sometimes the shop is empty and sometimes it’s rocking. You never know.

Each session generally last 2-3 hours, which seem to be just about right. I could go longer, but I am always ready when Joel says we’re finished. The first two of sessions included a lot of time to draw, now we go straight to the gun and start the bleeding.

Day 1 – The Day After

Things are still pretty sore and very swollen from the night before. I leave the bandage on over night and sleep in an old T-Shirt as things are still weeping. In the morning I remove the bandage and hop in the shower. I was the tattoo very gently with plain soap – this is easy because it still hurts. I avoid getting letting the spray hit it directly and just let water run over it to rinse. At this point there is a lot of ink and fluids coming out of the tattoo, I wash all of this away.

After the show I pat it dry and apply a thin coat of Aquaphore, a thick Vaseline like lotion. I gently rub it in until invisible. I like this stuff because it lasts all-day without reapplying. I wear another T-Shirt under my work clothes in case the tattoo is still weeping.

Day 2

Same a yesterday, but no T-Shirt. Bruises are starting to show now and swelling as coming down.

Day 3

Same a yesterday. Bruises are in full bloom now. They are only yellow, not black/blue, I wonder why?

Day 4

First peel is underway (it started yesterday). A thick layer of skin comes off in the shower. I generally switch to Eucerin lotion about this time. I have a bottle at work a reapply after lunch and sometimes in the late afternoon. You know it’s time to reapply when it starts itching.

Day 5-7+

Same-Same. Wash in shower, pat dry, apply lotion. Sometimes there is a lighter second peel that seems to happen to heavy lines more than larger shaded areas.

The ink is still bumpy now – you can feel the ink under the skin. This seems to go away in about 30 days. After that the skin is completely smooth.

Day 14-21

Another session and it starts all over again.

No comments: