Monday, July 14, 2008

Tattoo session #12

Session #12
Date July 13, 4pm

I've decided that this is really one tattoo on two sides so I'll be counting sessions that way now. Yesterday afternoon Joel finished the outlining and began the shading in another two hour session.

Yesterday was another tough session. I'm not sure why, but this side sure seems to hurt more than the other did. Maybe it's working on a new area, or maybe I just forgot how bad the other side was. Either way, these first two sessions were pretty hard. This photo shows some line-work around the nipple area. This is one of the most difficult areas.

These little moments frequently makes me think of the acid-burn scene from the movie Fight Club. I'm Edward Norton trying to get to my "happy place", but instead, as Tyler was, I am "in the moment" and embracing the pain.

When the outlining is finished the shading begins with the grinding of the Sumi ink. Here is Kathy grinding some of the Sumi herself.






















The last two photos show the extent of the shading done during this session. Shading definitely feels better (OK, hurts less) than line-work. I'm still pretty sore this morning but it's getting better and the swelling has come way down.






















No comments: