Sunday, April 10, 2011

BMC on the Bayshore

I've got about 400 miles on my new Black Mountain Cycles Cyclocross bike including a couple of rides over 50 miles. What an awesome machine. Thanks to Mike at BMC for an excellent frame design and meticulous assembly.

It's configured for long, comfortable, all day epics on multiple terrain types. It has large, lightweight 29er knobby tires and wide 52/42/28t front and 11-36t 9-speed rear drivetrain.

I'm currently running a hybrid brake system with a TRP Mini V-Brake on the front and Avid Ultimate cantilevers in the rear. I chose the Mini-V in the front to reduce the front brake shudder that plagues many cyclocross bikes. The shudder happens as the front fork flexes and the brake cable tightens/slacks.

I've done a couple of white-knuckle decents and I'm really happy with the results so far.


Check out the killer Timbuk2 seat-bag in orange and brown! A score from the bargain-bin at the local REI. The spare 29er tube is so large it needs the large-size seat bag. Since these pictures were taken I swapped in an old Nitto lugged seat-post which has a huge amount of set-back to match the Brooks saddle and and fits much better than the 5mm setback one shown.


My what big tires you have...

One of the biggest reasons I picked this bike is the tire clearance. During the build I installed Kenda Karma 29x1.95 (50mmx700c) tires. These are massive tires for a cyclocross bike and just fit -- they had to be carefully massaged to properly fit. I love those big 29ers but they are best when used on long dirt-centric rides. For more road-centric (but still multi-terrain) rides I'm looking for a slightly narrower and smother-rolling tire as an alternative to extend the range to 75 miles and beyond.

I've been riding a pair of Schwalbe Marathon XRs on the IndyFab and LOVE them. They may be the best tires I've ever owned. They are incredibly durable, have a stiff carcass that prevents pinch-flats and some magical belt under the tread to prevent punctures. The tread is smooth rolling but offers enough traction to handle anything including hardpack and mud.

As for reasons beyond understanding, Schwalbe only made them for a a year and stopped a couple of years ago. I have the last two I own on the IndyFab and don't know what I will do then they are worn out.

So if you know of any light-weight, large-volume, fast-rolling, thorn-proof cyclocross tires in 38-45mm, drop me a note.

No comments: