Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Chicken Salad

I like lots of different flavors and textures in my chicken salad. Celery, shallots, apple and cucumber for body, pecans and walnuts for crunch and the sweetness of rasins and apples balanced with a little vinegar.

I usually stuff it into a some Pita bread so I tend to chop everything pretty coarse -- think 1/2" chop -- to maximize how it fills the sandwich. If I were serving as a salad I'd chop closer to 1/4" for a more refined texture. I also don't use much mayonaise -- It's not good for me and I think it masks too many of the other flavors -- but you may want to add more to make it richer. Makes 6-8 pita sandwiches

1 whole roasted chicken - meat removed, chopped and cooled
1 cup mayonaise
2 ribs of celery (chop)
1/2 Granny Smith apple (dice)
1 English cucumber (dice)
1 medium shallot (dice)
1/2 cup toasted pecans (coarse chop)
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (coarse chop
1/2 cup currants or rasins
1 Tbs tarragon (chopped)
1 Tbs apple vinegar

Combine everything in a large bowl and mix gently. It's always better the next day.

No comments: