Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Infection

Infection -- the great fear following any surgery. After removal, my toes were tested for infection and came back positive for Staph. A couple of MRIs confirmed that in fact that toes on both feet are infected. This was unexpected. This infection means another surgery to conduct a biopsy on three toes and another set-back in healing. The surgery was completed last week and verified Staph in both feet.

This left me with a choice between taking off more toes and a multi-week course of IV antibiotics. I went with the latter. I'm hopeful that the antibiotics can treat the infection and we don't have to take off any more toes. So on Friday I'm going to get another "PICC" line installed so I can self administer the IV at home.

This is a huge set-back and will further delay recovery. I'm now back in bed, both feet wrapped in bandages waiting for the PICC line. In a week or so the stitches should come out and I can finally get back to Physical Therapy and healing.

No comments: