Friday, November 21, 2014

Success - PICC line installed

After yet another hospital stay, the PICC line is in and I'm ready to start self-administering IV antibiotics. With the medication itself and all the flushing I'll be using 4 syringes, 4 alcohol wipes and two sterile PICC caps for every session. Not exactly ecologically sound.

Training and practice took about an hour and they provided this really cool tray to help organize everything.

Organization
I'll be doing sessions at 7am, 3pm and 11pm everyday with each session taking 10-15 minutes.

Since I had a PICC line the entire time I was sick I'm more than a little familiar with hospital staff using and maintaining the line and it looks like it will be relatively easy to do it myself. Given the alternative to this treatment was to remove more of my feet and toes, IV antibiotics is an easy choice.

No comments: