Wednesday, August 24, 2016

August BMWCCA Driving Events

While work kept me for attending any of the the motorsport weekend activities, I find myself able to join the BMW club's High Performance Driver's Education program as an instructor for their Advanced Datacoaching at Laguna Seca Raceway this Thursday and Friday.

It's a great course. We use the Aim Solo data logger to collect extensive vehicle dynamics information while the student is out on track and analyze the data when the run in over and the student has time to process the information effectively.

Given my current condition, this is going to be a real test of my fitness.

Thursday  - Up at 5am
Drive to Laguna Seca - Arrive 7am
Instruction begins, 4-5 laps with each student (2) to asses level of driving skill
Class Room Instruction until lunch at Noon,
After Lunch, Class Room Instruction and maybe on-track drills depending on student skill level
Class ends at 5pm and I drive back to San Jose

Friday  - Up at 5am
Drive to Laguna Seca - Arrive 7am
Instruction begins, data analysis, application
Class Room Instruction until lunch at Noon,
After Lunch, Class Room Instruction and on-track drills with students
Class ends at 5pm, hand out certificates and I drive back to San Jose

That's a lot of time in car which wears me out the most. Not as much as a traditional Driving Instructor, but still a bunch. On the other hand I get a few free laps on Saturday and Sunday afternoon so It's a trade I reliably make.

No comments: