Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pre-surgery

I spent all day in pre-surgery meetings today planning the operation to remove two of my toes and getting approval from my cadre of doctors for the procedure. Cardiology, pulmonology, nephrology, and podiatry all gave approval.

The dead tissue on my toes is really painful and won’t stop bleeding so removing them will reduce the risk of infection and hopefully speed my recovery. It’s not clear how much of the two toes will need to be removed. They need to cut off all the dead tissue and leave enough skin to create a “flap” to cover the amputation site. I’m nervous that will need to take some of my foot – up to the first metatarsal - as well as the toes to get it done. We won't know until the event how far the amputation will go.


Unfortunately, I’m also going to have to stay in the hospital for a few days after surgery for “observation”. What a bummer. I’ll admit that after my last, extended stay I really don’t like hospitals at all and the idea of going back sucks. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ren,
Johnny and I will hold you in our thoughts. This must be a very difficult time and we send our love.
Love, Mom and John